Vinyl, wood, wrought iron, composite, aluminum: the choices for fencing are seemingly endless, and making a final decision often comes down to your budget, time constraints and personal style. You might be considering vinyl for all the right reasons, including the product’s durability, style choices and the fact your fence will never crack, chip or fade. Vinyl fencing was the frontrunner in my home, but I still had several questions that desperately needed answers before I made any final arrangements. If you’re also currently undecided, here are a few of the questions I asked about vinyl fencing. The answers may just surprise you, because I know they helped me finally determine the best fencing for both my backyard and budget.
What is A Vinyl Fence Constructed From, and Are the Materials Environmentally Friendly?
I’m a certified eco-ranger and the impact of vinyl fencing on the environment was a huge concern. Unlike wood fencing, which requires the presence of several toxic chemicals and heavy metals –including lead– to maintain and manufacture the product, vinyl fencing is constructed from non-toxic, safe components. This means that during a heavy rainstorm, the vinyl fencing won’t breakdown and transfer these unsafe chemicals to groundwater. All of A Vinyl Fence & Deck Wholesaler’s fencing is constructed from virgin polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which has a limited impact on the environment.
Is it Safe for Use on My Horse Ranch?
I own a modest farm and keeping my horses safe was a huge concern. Luckily, a vinyl fence provides the durability and stability I was looking for. I choose a three slat fence constructed from white vinyl, and constantly have people stopping to ask where I purchased my beautiful fence. On top of this is the added bonus of vinyl’s smooth finish, which also discourages my three horses from rubbing, chewing and scratching themselves; this was a common problem with my old wood fencing.
How Does Vinyl Fencing Perform Compared to the Competition?
If you’re still on the fence (no pun intended) there are several facts you need to know about vinyl, and it’s general superiority over its competition:
- Vinyl fencing has five times the tensile strength and four times the flexibility of wood. This fact was discovered after several hours of testing and provides you with the peace of mind that your fence will withstand the most oppressive summer days and coldest winter nights. Take a look at this video to just witness how strong vinyl fencing is: https://www.vinylfenceanddeck.com/products/vinyl-privacy-fence/strongest-privacy-fence/
- Compared to other products, namely wood and wrought iron, vinyl fencing is extremely light. Each slat weighs a little over one pound in most instances, making delivery and installation a breeze.
- No matter if you live in the driest parts of Arizona or the terminally damp Northwest; the threat of fire is always present. Unlike wood, vinyl possesses a flash point of around 900 degrees Fahrenheit, meaning it won’t ignite easily. This doesn’t mean you should test this theory with a lighter, but know that if your vinyl fence is exposed to fire, it will self-extinguish quickly.
- Your vinyl fence will not yellow. Safe, UV-resistant additives are combined with the polyvinyl chloride to compose a product that will never yellow, fade or discolor.
- Vinyl fencing is designed to be maintenance-free, but this doesn’t mean it won’t require an occasional cleaning. When my kids are done splashing the backyard fence with mud or my husband gets a little too close with the lawnmower and leaves behind unsightly grass stains, I simply grab the garden hose and spray the vinyl fencing. It looks like new, in a matter of minutes!
What Colors and Styles are Available?
A Vinyl Fence & Deck Wholesaler offers several styles of fencing, including privacy, semi-privacy and traditional picket, in three main shades: white, gray and tan. These lighter colors resist fading more than darker hues. There are competitors offering darker shades, but don’t be surprised when your vinyl fencing fades dramatically over the years. Your best bet is to stick with lighter colors when it comes to vinyl fencing.
I Want A More Natural Look. What are My Options?
My major concern with vinyl fencing was the product’s seeming unnatural appearance, and how it would clash with my landscape’s overall look. My fears were dashed once my simulated stone privacy fence was installed. If you enjoy the look of wood, but are put off by the maintenance requirements, you’re also in luck because simulated wood grain fencing also allows you to create a more organic feel without the constant upkeep real wood requires.
Is Vinyl More Cost-Efficient than Wood?
Initially, your vinyl fence will cost more to purchase and install. But as the years pass, you’ll quickly discover that the return on your investment is stellar, especially as you watch your neighbor repair and repaint his traditional wood fence year, after year, after year!
If you’re still not convinced, don’t hesitate to contact the amazing staff at A Vinyl Fence & Deck Wholesaler, a company which has existed for 19 years. They’re available 24/7 and ready to answer any question you have about the price, installation and warranty associated with their vinyl fencing.
About the Author: Maggie Holman is a guest blogger and proud vinyl fence owner. She enjoys nothing more than bragging about her fence and convincing her neighbors to make the switch to vinyl.
FOR MORE INFORMATION REGARDING VINYL FENCE & DECK PRODUCTS: Visit A Vinyl Fence & Deck Wholesaler (www.vinylfenceanddeck.com)